Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Cross of Cultures

What is black without white? What is life without death? What is Turkish without Americans? The past few weeks we have had the family of the other exchange student in Çanakkale here. The contrast, the ones we may have felt when we first got here, were again quite obvious. I suppose we have adpated more than we have realized. Cultural norms that used to bother us, again began to bother us as we toured sights that have become the background of our lives. I have to admit, I felt much more Turkish than I did American. (This is actually something I worried about as I tried to depchir their actions). For example, when I was lucky enough to have them over to dinner at my house, we took a photo with a pattern of Turk- American- Turk. It was my host dad, then me, then my host brother. I, in seriousness, thought we had done the pattern wrong- there needed to be an American in my place.
The dinner experience was really interesting. Two groups of people, who dont share the same ideas, the same nationality, or even a few words in eachothers language gathered on the floor ( we dont have a table at my house) to share a meal. A surprising thing happened and an important lesson was learned. People despite all border lines and skin colors are still, well, people.They expressed their apprecation for the food with mmmms and smiles and each group told jokes, which were still funny even after translation. The two cultures happily SHARİNG an evening was a beautiful, beautiful thing. Sometimes the culture differences feel impossible and the world is a big place, but everyone can laugh, love, and learn a little from eachother.
My host dad tried to teach them one of his fundemental lessons- the brotherhood of Islam, and the importance of hospitality in Turkish culture.
My first time hearing this lesson he told me people were forgeting brotherhood, and I tried to convince him no- My peers a school love to look after me and eachother, buying food and wishing illness to pass. There is brotherhood I exclaimed! His correction was that that is the remains of brotherhood. (What would he think of America then?) A true Islamic man would happily give his house away to someone in need. This is according to him, one of the most important things in Islam- helping others. And this man exhibts it- when the night ended he begged to be able to give up his bed so they wouldnt have to pay for a night at the hotel. The fact that our countries are arguing over hot issues such as genocide, did not appear to have matter.Babies are born. People get married. People die. We love, hate, laugh, cry, and feel pride.People are, well, people. xoxo

6 comments:

  1. i have a blog also

    http://diaforetikimatia.blogspot.com

    the url above is my blog. Please visit me!!!
    Thank you my friend!! thank you so much. Your visit is too important for me!!!!
    Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. If we could only all see that people are people no matter what. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very deep, and quite lovely. I Like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber! My name is Natalie, and I followed your blog all last year, starting in September. It was great! Now, beginning a week ago, I'm living in Turkey as a Rotary Exchange student! It's been crazy. I'm in Ankara, so it's a bit different than what you were up to. I just wanted to thank you for your fantastic blog, as it really helped me decide to go. It's been a great choice (so far!). I wanted to get in touch with you, but there was no posted email address. So now that I have my own account, I can comment, if you still check them. My email is natalielucille@gmail.com. My blog is natalieinturkey.blogspot.com (sorry to semi-copy your address, it was just the simplest one!) I want to hear about what it's been like being back in the U.S.! Write me.
    Love,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, I went to turkey on my honeymoon and found your blog doing research. I really love it- great job receiving this scholarship, I hope it is a stepping stone to many great things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog. visit & follow me back

    ReplyDelete